Thursday, November 15, 2012

Taking a Crack At Abstract!


If you have been following this blog you know that I used to be a decorative painter. I have taken oil painting classes and still have a lot to learn, but I am trying! I have become so used to a painting the object as it appears in front of me that I am actually having a difficult time wrapping my brain around abstract painting.  Thank goodness my instructor and good friend, well known artist Maureen Chatfield, who has the patience of a saint.  Maureen agreed to give an abstract painting class at the Clinton Art Museum in Hunterdon County, and I jumped at the chance to take it. I chose of all things an interior space to try as an abstract and after much brain twisting I completed it and it turned out okay. 
I have a new found respect for abstract artists, it is quite difficult to look at an object or scene and have your eye see only shapes and colors rather than the image itself. I am going back tonight to start another painting. I am definitely a glutton for punishment! Here are a few of my past works and the reveal of my attempt at abstract. If you ever get the opportunity to take a painting class please do it’s amazing how it forces your brain to try new things. I must warn you though, you may leave with a headache! Have a great day

My room inspired Abstract, chose oranges and pinks...

An old photo from my mural days!

An attempt at still life, I guess i cannot get enough of blue and white glazed pottery!

A painting of an Irish Castle that I did for my mothers birthday.


3 comments:

  1. Your paintings are gorgeous!! I lvoe the colors you have chosen here.
    I love to paint too, Karolyn! Abstract is something I haven't done much of, but I am trying my hand at it for painting for Christmas.
    Happy Thursday.
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Teresa, you are too kind! I would love to see your work too! Abstract is very difficult for me, but I am learning more with each lesson!
    xoKarolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your paynting are georgeous!!! I love you blog!!!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from my viewers so comment frequently!