Sunday, September 21, 2014

Fall Vegan Stew!

About a month ago I decided that I would truly try to eat healthy. We are trying vegan 2/3 of the week, allowing the weekend to be a bit naughty!  I was challenged to find meals that would be tasty and filling so I turned to "Oh She Glows".  Author and blogger Angela Liddon has created the most health filled and just plain good for you blog around! She even has a cook book out and I did not hesitate to buy it. She was my life saver when it came to making just vegetables and nuts interesting. Even if you are a devout meat eater there is something in this book and blog you are sure to enjoy. I thought I would post my favorite Fall stew that I ate it for days because it was just that good. Check out The Oh She Glows Cookbook available HERE!



Soul Soothing- African Peanut Stew
Ingredients:
  • 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium sweet onion
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 red pepper, diced I added and orange pepper too!
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced (optional)
  • 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 – 28 oz. can diced tomatoes, with their juices (I like Pomi)
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
  • 4 cups vegetable broth I like Pacific brand.
  • 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
  • 1 – 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2 handfuls baby spinach or kale chopped
  • Fresh cilantro or parsley
  • Roasted peanuts, for garnish
  • TIP: stir in some leftover rice ( cant helo it I love white rice) but Brown is better for you!
Directions:
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute for 5 mins, until onion is translucent
2. Add bell pepper, jalapeno, sweet potato and canned tomatoes. Raise heat to medium-high and simmer for 5 mins. Season with S & P.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk peanut butter with 1 cup vegetable broth until no clumps remain. Stir into large saucepan with remaining 3 cups vegetable broth, chili powder, and cayenne.
4. Cover pan and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10-20 mins until sweet potato is tender.
5. Stir in chickpeas and spinach and cook until spinach is wilted. Season with S & P.
6. Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro/parsley and peanuts.  You can add some leftover rice for a heartier meal, too

15 comments:

  1. I need to eat better... The stew looks so beautiful, I should give it a try!

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love sweet potato and peanut butter you will love it its very good and this book is great!

      Delete
  2. Karolyn... this looks positively delish!! Hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks and sounds so wonderful! Question Karolyn, do the peanuts get all mushy (sometimes this happens when I add nuts to dishes like this)

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only add the peanuts as a topper at the end so they stay crunchy the flavor really comes from the good peanut butter.

      Delete
  4. Darling, I love soups & stews anytime of the year. Can't help it. And, this one is very interesting, what with the peanut butter. I have just begun my own "health" conscious recipe quest and am using the Brain Grain or Grain Brain by Dr. Perlmutter as my guide. As they say, "It couldn't hurt!" I'm trying this tomorrow, love sweet potatoes! xx's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read grain brain too! Its so sad because I love bread!! I do have to day that I am getting use to this way of eating now and when I do have a good piece of bread I keep it small and its like a treat!

      Delete
  5. This stew looks so colourful and truly appetising. I shall have to check out this cookery book. We are always looking at ways to eat more healthily and it can be a challenge to make vegetables and nuts tasty interesting and filling too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karolyn,
    Thanks for sharing this recipe. It sounds so hearty and different with the peanut butter. I'm very tempted to give it a try. Fall is my favorite season to make soups and stews. Plus, they taste even better as reheated leftovers when the flavors and ingredients have melded. I love leftovers on busy weeknights.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is delicious and even better the next day@

      Delete
  7. Karolyn, This sounds absolutely wonderful and I love peanut butter. I believe the nutrient value is increased when the nuts soak? .. anyway it's great to hear that you are trying new things. Over time it's easier to incorporate these types of menus in our daily lives. Habits are tough to break but it's worth it and you always feel better. Good for you! Have nice week ahead;) xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my passions is nourishing our body so we glow and perform to our best. My recent health scare has caused me to really take a look at my diet and I love this book and also "Practical Paleo" - So much of our foods today are processed or refined and are really not good for our health as a nation. I try to eat as much "whole" foods and really feel an amazing difference. Most doctors do not educate from a dietary stand and it is so great that you are finding delicious recipes and good glowing dishes!
    xoxo
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of switching over to this kind of eating. I am good 2/3 of the time, but really need to work on that other third! Definitely will check out this cook book!

    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks amazing! Do you think I can substitute peanut butter for almond butter? Looks like I found a new book...and that's a good thing! Have you read "The Beauty Detox"? or "Crazy, Sexy Diet"? All I can say is be sure to eat your greens. I wouldn't mind if you shared more....just saying!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from my viewers so comment frequently!