Friday, February 20, 2015

Project Design- Style Your Coffee Table!

Thanks yo so much Cindy(Rough Luxe Lifestyle) and MaryAnn(casual-classic-home) for inviting me to join this amazing group of designing bloggers.  I for one cannot wait to learn a thing or two about style from these great bloggers and I am sure you will want to head over as well. 





I have to admit I am a bit nervous about his post. I can style a client's table with my eyes closed but with mine I sometimes overthink it! I find there are certain rules I have laid down for myself when styling a table. I first take into consideration whether it's an ottoman used as a table or simply a classic cocktail table.  Since I have both in my home I have decided to style them accordingly.



I LOVE books! I always add books and bigger the better. The more interesting and artful even better!
For the ottoman,  I also love a tray so that one may place a cup of tea or "cocktail" down with now fear of spilling. Plant life or flowers are always a great touch especially at this time of year because we are longing to see greenery.  I like fun items that have personality or sentimental meaning. For me, it's this small platter with a great quote from Oscar Wilde. I also get a chuckle every time I see my little monkey candle holder. Any piece that can add personality or can be a conversation piece is always a great idea to have somewhere on a cocktail table. 



Where ottomans are concerned I always leave enough space around the edge for one to put their feet up as well.


My next table is a Moroccan tray table from the 1970's on a ebony bamboo legged stand.  Is 38 inch round and it has personality already on its own. Since I like the table to speak a bit for itself I have made the setting more subdued.  I find if you have a collection of pottery or interesting glass this is the time to pull it out. I always follow the odd rule when adding pieces so  I like a collection  of  up to 7 pieces max, again leaving space for drinks or snacks around the table. Again I have added books and I have taken into consideration the color scheme in the room so watery blue and rust is fitting. 
A style like this can be simple with no flowers or greenery but since I need all the flower power I can get I have shown it both ways. 





P.S. This room is under a facelift too, can't wait to share it in March when the Oushak rug comes and the room is altogether!



I hope you got a sense of my "simple style" now I am heading over to see what great table style can be found on Project Design!




54 comments:

  1. You don't have to be nervous - these are all perfection! The colors in both are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, it may be a bit boring compared to others for sure!

      Delete
  2. LOVE! You nailed it that green ottoman is heavenly...with the leopard in the background and leather chair..tres chic. We share a love of the same things for coffee tables, books, a little blue and white, etc...have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The green ottoman and brass table are both really great classic pieces! Love that leather wing chair too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rene I loved your table ideas somuch too!

      Delete
  4. Pretty options--and I love the blue and white, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes one can never go wrong with a little blue and white!1 thanks!!

      Delete
  5. You have the most beautiful furniture pieces and I love both of your styled coffee tables. I think I may have to get that "Dogs" coffee table book - looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should get that book you will absolutely love the images!!

      Delete
  6. Great inspiration, Karolyn! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love them both! My fave is all that lovely blue & white on your Moroccan tray table. The tulips tie in the chairs perfectly! Well done:)
    Charlotte
    Simplylovedesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Charlotte I agree that tulips tied is all in!

      Delete
  8. Karolyn I love your Moroccan Tray table because it is so unique and styled beautifully. Your ottoman (which I also have in my study) is great because as you say you want enough room around the edges so sometimes my books get stacked higher in the center!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena
    The Centre Cannot Hold

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are crazy, you pro!! Such beautiful inspiration, Karolyn, and your table and ottoman are both fabulous classic pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are crazy girl! You did a great job...both are styled beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I love words of encouragement from talented people like you!!

      Delete
  11. These are both gorgeous! Thanks for the great ideas. LOVE your brass tray table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Jennifer that is an OLD table but I goody so I think its a keeper!

      Delete
  12. Love both your tables.
    Styling them can be both easy and hard at the same time but you brought it with an edited eye and the perfect amount of restraint! It didn't hurt that both your tables were pretty great on their own!
    Nice to meet you by the way:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the blue and white items. Both tables are beautiful and make a statement about you and your family. That "Dog" book is fab. I want one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Dog book is so great i never get sick of leafing through it's pages!

      Delete
  14. These vignettes are so beautiful! I love the way you use color, Karolyn!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much I know this world of monochromatic I am never too sure how my color sense will be received! xo K

      Delete
  15. My favorites are 3 and 7! You have such a beautiful home, with the perfect colors.
    Happy Friday, Karolyn.
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Karolyn, Love this series and there is so much inspiration here. I like what you've done ~ gorgeous tables. The books are a must and of course the blue and white;) Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That green ottoman number needs to be published! It is so sleek and cozy and....Love all of the blue on the brass with the perfect color of tulips....YUM!! Wow...you were intimidated...are you kidding?!! You can come style my coffee table anytime. I am soooo glad you joined us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE this!!! Both make me happy…you are so lucky to have both spots in your home. Beautiful job. We have some of the same books and the leopard pillow. But YOURS all look more stylish! Thanks for playing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have done a beautiful job with this project Karolyn! I love your combinations of beautiful books, sentimental items and always a tray. You are so stylish that I just knew you would create perfection. Fun post!
    xx, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have done a beautiful job with this project Karolyn! I love your combinations of beautiful books, sentimental items and always a tray. You are so stylish that I just knew you would create perfection. Fun post!
    xx, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both look perfect, Karolyn - lots of my favorite things - books, blooms and blue and white. I always, always leave room for feet on our family room coffee table. A must! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Karolyn, I love your cultural mix here, no need to get worried here, it's a home that breathes a rich flavor of well mix pieces. I have to mention a big part of why the setting for your books and collections is due to the base foundation of your area rug, it warms up the space richly and brings your eye up to the finishing touches. Quite beautiful a space to sit and take in all that it inspires.

    Xoxo
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind thank you . I love to hear your opinions because you style so well!!

      Delete
  23. I love the green ottoman and the styles you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  24. UM.....forget about the styling can we talk about those awesome coffee tables? Wowza. OK....whew....but the styling is perfect of course!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this challenge, need to foof up some of my horizontal surfaces so this is giving me inspiration. I really like your "seven" and "odd" guidelines, I find those work for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your styling is beautiful! Love the books!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful styling! You can't go wrong with blue and white, books and Oscar Wilde! Hope you had a wonderful weekend, Karolyn!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You did a great job Karolyn and I'm in love with that green ottoman. So much rich color in your room, all the books and the Oscar Wilde quote makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  30. They both look fantastic! I have an antique brass tray table as well and always struggle with covering it up and just recently decided to "go for it" and it actually makes the table look better! I love yours with the blue and white and the flower pop!! Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to hear that someone else has a vinatge brass table I go tit years ago and cannot seem to part with it!!

      Delete
  31. I wanted to purchase a dining table online and that's why I visited so many online stores. Vigshome.com ended my search by providing the best quality dining table. The quality of their dining table is so high and the price is so affordable. The design of my dining table is so unique and the aesthetic looks are very beautiful. Oval dining table

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from my viewers so comment frequently!